ST. XAVIER’S HIGH SCHOOL, KOLHAPUR
St. Xavier’s owes its origin to the express desire and concrete efforts of the local citizenry in response to their felt need. 145 prominent citizens signed a petition sent to Fr. Pius Geisel, SJ on Sept 17, 1956. In March that year, Belgaum and Poona Missions were created into a Jesuit Vice Province. There was no Jesuit institution between these cities which were separated by 355 Kms. Fr. Geisel liked the idea because a school in Kolhapur could serve as a link between the Missions.
Fr. C. C. Coutinho, SJ Minister and Boarding Director at St. Paul’s, Belgaum, was appointed to pioneer the project. 200 students were enrolled within three days. A year later, on Oct. 29, 1958, Mudhol House and the surrounding grounds was purchased and the school was christened St. Xavier’s on Nov. 11, 1958.The foundation stone of the school building was laid on Mar. 5, 1959, by His Highness Shahaji Maharaj of Kolhapur. Within a year the rear wing was completed and inaugurated by Princess Indumati Ranisaheb. The buildings were completed in 1966. Bro. John Alphonso replaced Bro. Eric D’Silva to make the playfields, while Fr. Gregory D’Souza arranged the school laboratories. Fr. Miranda was responsible for the academic performance and value education in keeping with the tradition of the Society’s standards of excellence.
St. Xavier’s High School,
Kolhapur 416 003
Tel Res (0231) 2654835, Sch 2651360